Experienced home inspector!Read More
Looking for an experience and friendly home inspector for your clients? My name is John Fish and the name of my inspection company is Houston's Edge Home Inspectors and I have been providing full time home inspection service since 2009. I provide your client with through and detailed reports so they can make the most informed decisions. This will also benefit you nobody wants missed items at an inspection so experience is key. My pricing is affordable starting at $300.00 for less than 2500 sq. ft. and under 20 yrs of age. I also include an infrared scan of the property at no additional cost if conditions permit. I believe 2017 is going to be an amazing year in real Estate so if you are without or your normal inspectors can't get to you quick enough please keep my in mind. I would love the opportunity to serve your clients and give the quality and friendly service they deserve.
Thank you so much for your time
John Junior Fish
I know how frustrating it can be to go under contract on a home just to find out there are major defects found at the home inspection. These issues can be negotiated, but there are no guarantees the seller will fix these items or negotiate the price down. The bottom line is you have already committed to the home emotionally and somewhat financially. Yes you can get back your earnest money, but you still have money out for inspections. I get it your not a home inspector, but there are some simple things you can do while your walking through the home. Lets take a look at some simple things that can be red flags so you can make the best home buying decision.
- Read through the sellers disclosure carefully before putting in your offer and ask seller some important questions. Find out if the home has ever been flooded with the recent heavy rains in our area this year (2016) it's a possibility the home had water inside the interior of the home. You can also obtain a clue report this will let you know if there are insurance claims made on the home. The clue report is a great way of finding out some history about the home. Ask the seller the age of A/C and heating unit or units. The average life span is 12 to 18 years, but they can fail earlier. If the unit is over 12 years old it will become less reliable and need more repairs or replacement costing you money. Find out the age of the roof remember most asphalt shingles last about 20 years in the Houston area the lower end asphalt single only last about 15 years. Roofing material is expensive to replace so knowing how old it is gives you an ideal of how much life is left unless the singles have been damaged. Look up at roof there may be obvious damage or missing singles visible from the ground
2. While walking through the home do the floors seem level or does it feel like your walking uphill or downhill. Open and close all interior doors. Do the doors close or do they stick in jamb or they won't close at all. Open door and let go of door does it stay in the position you left it or does it close by itself. Now put they door in the closed position without latching does the door stay in position or does it open by itself. Look for cracks in home at interior and exterior above doors and windows these can be cosmetic or structural cracks. Large separating cracks at the exterior brick veneer can be an indication of foundation issues. Look for cracks at exterior at the exposed foundation if visible. Cracks alone do not mean the foundation is defective ,but a large separating crack is cause for concern. Corner cracks are more of a cosmetic issue, but large separating cracks that aren't located at corners can be a concern. If you see these types of issues there may be a foundation issue at home.
3. On your way through the home don't forget to look up at the ceiling. If you see any stains make sure to ask seller what the problem was there may be a past or present leak at the area. This could be from the roof leaking or there could be a plumbing problem. Also look for any significant cracks in the drywall at the ceiling.
4. This may be beyond your scoop ,but if you know what galvanized plumbing supplies look like( If you are buying an older home) it's a good ideal to see if galvanized supplies are present. Galvanized last from 40 to 60 years ,but can fail earlier. If the home you are being was built in the 60's or 70's their's a good chance there may be galvanized supplies present and at that age it's just a matter of time until they will start leaking. So if you know what galvanized looks like it's a good ideal to check under the sinks and at attic area to see what type of plumbing supplies are present.
5. Although this seems like a lot of things to check out most of these things can be observed while your walking through the home without taking too much time or effort. This won't make you a home inspector, but it can make it easier to weed through homes. Although this may not eliminate all major issues it diffidently can eliminate some major issues and make the home buying process go smoother. Hope this helps all you home buyers out in the future good luck.
Sometimes I have clients tell me when booking there home inspection in the Houston area, That the inspection of the home they are buying will be a very easy inspection for me. Thank goodness for them I didn't take their word for it. There have been many instances, when a new client has told me this, and the home ends up having many major defects. Sometimes to the point to where the client withdraw from buying the home. So it's always a good Ideal to have the home inspected by a licensed and certified home inspector, because what looks great to you may end up hiding many issues and costing you major bucks. No matter how the home looks i'm always thorough never skipping a beat. Believe me these clients were shocked to see the issues the home was hiding ,and very happy they listened to there Realtor and scheduled there home inspection.
Spring is here and the weather is starting to change this is the time to look around your home. Before you start spreading the mulch around make sure you have some of your foundation exposed. This is a common mistake made by home owners and landscapers. The recommendations is to have about 4" of foundation exposed on a brick veneer home and 6" on a wood siding home. Many times during a home inspection the flower beds are built up over the slab making a conducive condition for termite activity giving termites an easy entry point into your home.With the proper amount of slab exposed you may be able to see a termite tube going up the side of the home. If you see a mud tube going up the side of your foundation break it open to see if it's ants or termite if termites are found call a licensed termite inspector for a termite treatment of your home. Check out your vegetation growing around your home. it's a good ideal to keep all vegetation off the walls of your home for proper ventilation to prevent wood rot , moisture damage to your home and conducive conditions for termite activity.Check your wood siding for wood rot or moisture damage also look up at the soffit of your home look for holes or moisture damage. Clean all debris out of your gutters drainage is very important and overlooked by many home owners.The next time you have a big rain check out the drainage patters around your home. make sure you don't have areas where water drains towards your foundation of your home this will lead to foundation damage overtime. Are there debris obstructing the water shedding abilities of your roofing materials if so this can cause roof leaks and the life of your roofing materials. It's a good ideal to look around your windows to see if the caulking is separating if so than it's time to re calk these areas. Remember moisture is the enemy of your home so sealing any gaps or holes will save you allot of headaches and extra expenses. Having your a/c system serviced in the spring can save you money and extra wear on your system it could be the difference of your system breaking down in the summer. Summers are hot in Houston and a/c repairs are harder to get done in a timely manner in the middle of summer making the home uncomfortable for you and your family. These are some areas to check out in the spring time if you would like a more complete list have me perform a maintenance home inspection I will provide you with a report and photos of areas that need repairs or maintenance. thank you for reading Houston's Edge Home Inspections LLC
During a home inspection many problems can be discovered. Some problems can affect your comfort in your home. Leaking ducts can affect your comfort and your wallet. If you have ducts leaking in your attic space than it's costing you money to cool or heat your home. Don't heat or cool your attic space throwing money away and reducing your level of comfort in your home. Although some leaks can be obvious some may be harder to locate that's why it's important to hire a home inspector that uses the most advanced tools such as infrared which makes it easy to locate these problem areas. Check out some photos below of some leaks that were discovered at a Houston Texas home inspection with the use of infrared thermal imaging camera.
there were a lot of leaks discovered during this inspection at the unit and at supply ducts. The effect of all the air leaking into the attic was very weak air flow at many of the supply registers or no air flow at all. Although this inspection was performed in the spring and the house was not uncomfortable at the time of the inspection. Once the Houston summer kicks in the house would have been very uncomfortable.The cost of cooling the attic space would have increased there electric bill significantly and increased the wear and tear on the unit causing it to run much longer and of course repairing the leaks and some of the supply ducts would have been an extra expense for the buyer. Don't trust your home to any old home inspector have a quality home inspector inspect your home you never know what may be hiding. Houston's Edge Home Inspections is always there for you.
SO your feeling very good about that home your purchasing because a lot of the items are brand new like the roofing materials. This is where you need to be careful just because it's new doesn't mean it was installed correctly.I can't even count how many poorly installed roof's I have came across at a home inspection performed in the Houston Texas area. I have seen roof's at brand new homes and older homes where shingles were missing in areas,missing flashing, missing roof jacks, etc, but here's the one defects that really gets me nails not driven in all the way or nails that where driven all the way through the roofing material.
This is an example of poor workmanship this roof appeared to be less than five years old and is covered with nails penetrating through the face of the shingle leaving many areas where water can enter into the structure. There were also many areas where the nails were driven through the singles making the roof vulnerable to shingles blowing off roof during high winds. This all was easily prevented if the roofer would have adjusted the compressor properly and driven any nails down flush. I guess the roofer was just to lazy and didn't care about workmanship completing the job as fast as possible leaving a problem and expense for the home owner. Once again make sure your Houston area home inspector is performing quality inspections and not low quality like this roofer. If the roof area is not walked by your home inspector than more than likely this will not be visible from the ground area have Houston's edge home inspections LLC save you money from low quality roofing companies. Always remember just because it's newer doesn't mean it will last along time. If items are not installed correctly it will significantly limit the life of the product.